In the days before his shocking death, racing legend Kyle Busch was already plotting his next move—and it involved his young son. According to NASCAR CEO Steve O'Donnell, Busch sent a text message on Tuesday, just days before he passed away, asking for a major rule change in the Craftsman Truck Series.

Busch, who won his 69th Truck Series race at Dover Motor Speedway last week, was pushing for an exemption that would allow drivers over 40 to compete in all Truck Series events. The request wasn't about extending his own dominance—it was about setting the stage for something far more meaningful: racing alongside his 11-year-old son, Brexton.

Read also
NASCAR
Danica Patrick Reflects on Kyle Busch's Shocking Death: 'A Polarizing Figure and an Incredible Driver'
Danica Patrick opened up about the shocking death of Kyle Busch, calling him a polarizing figure and an incredible driver whose legacy will endure.

“What I look back on is a text from Kyle (on) Tuesday, as only Kyle could do — and I keep looking at it — and he said: ‘Hey, man, what do you think about an over-40 rule to be able to compete in all the Truck Series races next year,’” O'Donnell recalled during a press conference on Friday. “I said, ‘You know, we put that rule in place because you were winning so much,’ but when we looked about it and had a meeting Wednesday internally, we thought, ‘Damn, that’s actually good. We need Kyle in the Truck Series.’”

O'Donnell believes the request had a deeper purpose. “It was twofold. He knew he could help the Series, but I think one day had a dream to race against his son in a national series event.”

That dream now takes on a poignant, heartbreaking dimension. Busch died unexpectedly on Wednesday after being found unresponsive in a Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord, North Carolina. The cause was severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis, as confirmed by the Busch family.

NASCAR released a statement mourning the loss of a driver they called “a future Hall of Famer” and “a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation.” The statement highlighted Busch's fierce competitiveness, his sharp wit, and the deep connection he formed with fans, creating the loyal “Rowdy Nation.”

In a move that underscores the family's legacy, Richard Childress Racing announced that Busch's iconic No. 8 car will be retired from active use. The team will run the No. 33 at Charlotte Motor Speedway and beyond. The No. 8, which Busch helped design, is now reserved exclusively for his son Brexton. “No one can carry it forward to the level that he did,” RCR said in a statement. “The No. 8 is reserved and ready for Brexton Busch when he is ready to go NASCAR racing.”

The decision has resonated deeply with fans, many of whom are also pushing for Keselowski's push for an immediate Hall of Fame induction for the late driver. Others have echoed Chase Elliott's call to give Busch the Most Popular Driver award as a final tribute.

The racing community continues to grapple with the loss of a driver who not only set records but also shaped the future of the sport. For now, the focus is on supporting the Busch family—and honoring the legacy of a man who, even in his final days, was thinking about the next generation.