Danica Patrick is returning to the Indianapolis 500 broadcast booth this Sunday with Fox Sports, but she's not leaving the past behind. The racing pioneer has dropped a bombshell: she says IndyCar team Andretti Green Racing didn't pay her what she was contractually owed, sparking a bitter legal fight that ultimately pushed her out of the series.
In a candid interview with Will Buxton on SPEED, alongside NASCAR legend Kevin Harvick, Patrick opened up about the financial turmoil that soured her final years in IndyCar. She described a profit-sharing agreement that the team allegedly failed to honor, leaving her feeling cheated and frustrated.
The Money That Wasn't There
“I just kind of really wasn’t happy where I was anymore,” Patrick said. “The team situation was—nobody really knew what was going on, but I was in a profit-sharing situation with Andretti at that time. That was the way my contract was structured, and they were not paying me what I was supposed to get paid.”
She added that the dispute escalated into “legal battles behind the scenes” that dragged on for the last year and a half of her tenure. “That was a stressful and frustrating situation to be taken advantage of,” she said. The conflict eventually went to arbitration, marking an ugly end to what had been a historic partnership.
Patrick joined Andretti Green Racing in 2008 and quickly made history by becoming the first woman to win an IndyCar race. But the financial rift proved too deep to mend. She left for NASCAR in 2012, a move that shocked many fans but now appears rooted in unresolved pay issues.
A Legacy Beyond the Track
Despite the acrimony, Patrick remains a towering figure in motorsports. She hopes her story inspires others—especially young girls—to chase their dreams regardless of obstacles. “That is not what I’m trying to say, but if you have a talent for something, to not be afraid to follow through with it and not feel different, not feel like you are less qualified or less competent to do the job—let it be about what your potential is,” she explained.
She recalled hearing from families who said they bonded over her races. “Whether it brings the girls out, the guys out, whatever it is, I don’t care. That’s nice to hear. It’s also nice to hear families talk about the fact that a little girl might say, ‘But Mommy, Daddy, that’s a girl out there.’ Then they can have the conversation with their kid about [how] you can do anything you want, and being different doesn’t by any means not allow you to follow your dreams.”
Patrick’s return to the Indy 500 broadcast comes amid a flurry of attention. She recently stunned fans with her toned physique at 44 ahead of the race, and she also picked her top three drivers racing right now. Her outspokenness on pay echoes the recent IndyCar fans' backlash over her 'most disliked' label.
The 2026 Indy 500 is set for Sunday, and Patrick will be in the booth, not the cockpit. But her voice—and her grievances—are louder than ever.
