When the Freedom 250 Grand Prix roars through the streets of Washington, D.C., this Sunday, it won't just be the high-speed corners and iconic monuments that grab attention. President Donald J. Trump is set to play a starring role, and the reaction from IndyCar's biggest names is unmistakable: they're all in.

The race, scheduled for Aug. 23, will unfold on a 1.7-mile street circuit that snakes along Pennsylvania Avenue and past landmarks like the Capitol and the Smithsonian museums. According to The New York Post, Trump's motorcade will take a ceremonial lap as part of the buildup to the event, which celebrates America's 250th birthday. It's a nod to his history with racing, including a memorable appearance at the Daytona 500 earlier this year.

Read also
More Sports
Kinley Rasmus Set to Join Elite Group at 2026 Little League World Series
Kinley Rasmus, niece of former MLB outfielder Colby Rasmus, takes the mound for Alabama at the 2026 Little League World Series, joining an elite group of girls.

For the drivers, having the president on site adds a layer of gravity to an already monumental occasion. Josef Newgarden, the two-time Indianapolis 500 winner and two-time series champion behind the wheel of Team Penske's No. 2 Chevrolet, didn't mince words about what this means.

"I don't know when we're going to have an opportunity to race in our nation's capital again with an IndyCar," Newgarden said. "So, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Want to go out there and win with our team — with Team Penske — and obviously represent the country."

His enthusiasm is echoed across the paddock. Kyle Kirkwood, who drives Andretti Global's No. 27 Honda, described the setting as "awesome" and praised the months of preparation that have gone into transforming the city into a racetrack.

"This has been going on for many, many months, setting up the track, which is on down Pennsylvania (Avenue), around the museums, and then (goes) right by the Capitol," Kirkwood told Fox News. "It's going to be a beautiful backdrop. Suites are incredible; 100,000 people on both days out there to see the event. We can't wait, as drivers. It's going to be awesome."

The buzz isn't limited to the drivers. The event is expected to draw massive crowds, with organizers projecting 100,000 fans across the weekend. For a series that typically races in front of dedicated but smaller audiences, the national spotlight—and the presidential presence—is a chance to showcase the sport to a broader audience.

Trump's involvement has already sparked conversations beyond the track, drawing comparisons to other high-profile presidential moments in sports, much like the recent backlash Laura Rutledge faced after interviewing Trump. But for the drivers, the focus remains on the race itself and the honor of representing their country on such a stage.

Newgarden, who has become one of IndyCar's most decorated stars, sees this as more than just another race. It's a chance to make history.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he reiterated. "We want to put on a show for the fans, for the president, and for everyone watching across the country."

The Freedom 250 Grand Prix is set to take the green flag on Sunday, August 23. With the president's motorcade leading the way, it promises to be a spectacle unlike any other in IndyCar's storied history.