Former NBA center Enes Kanter Freedom is turning up the heat on the WNBA. The outspoken big man, who formally declared for the 2027 WNBA Draft earlier this month, is scheduled to attend Sunday night’s showdown between the Indiana Fever and Chicago Sky in Chicago—a game that will be broadcast nationally on Peacock.
Kanter’s presence is no coincidence. He’s been on a mission to expose what he calls a loophole in the league’s eligibility rules regarding transgender athletes. His declaration, posted on X, argued that if self-identification is all that’s required, then he qualifies. “My team and I have carefully examined the WNBA’s eligibility criteria and governing framework surrounding self-identification and inclusion,” he wrote. “Based on the current guidelines, I can and am officially declaring my eligibility for the upcoming WNBA draft in April 2027.”
Kanter, a native of Turkey who played in the NBA from 2011 to 2022 as the No. 3 overall pick out of Kentucky, isn’t just showing up to watch. He’s using the platform to amplify his warning. During a Saturday appearance on Fox News Channel’s “My View with Lara Trump,” he doubled down on his confidence. “I think I will be the best draft pick in WNBA history, literally,” he said.
The 34-year-old is positioning himself as a provocateur, aiming to force the league to clarify its stance on biological sex. “There’s other major sports that obviously closed that loophole,” Kanter explained. “They added ‘biological female’ or ‘born female’ in their collective bargaining. But when I look at them, the WNBA, they didn’t have kind of, you know, reference to biological or anything like that.”
He pointed to gestures like Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve wearing a “trans kids belong” shirt as evidence that the league is open to inclusion—and that he could capitalize on it. “If no one’s against it and all the coaches are OK with it, think about how much money I can bring, think about all the endorsement deals,” he said.
Kanter’s message to the WNBA is blunt: “The WNBA has no idea what they’re about to face. They’re still trying to figure out what a woman is,” he said. “So, let’s see if they can figure that out. So, let’s see what kind of rules that they’re gonna come up with.”
His appearance comes amid a charged atmosphere around the Fever, who have been at the center of multiple storylines this season, including Sophie Cunningham’s heartfelt birthday message to Fever fans and fan outrage over threats at a Fever-Dream game. The league has yet to officially respond to Kanter’s declaration, but his presence in Chicago is sure to draw attention.
Whether Kanter’s declaration is a serious bid or a publicity stunt, it’s already sparked debate. His claim that he’d be the best pick in WNBA history is bold, but his real goal seems to be forcing a conversation—and possibly a rule change. As he put it, “Let’s see what they come up with.”
For now, all eyes are on Chicago, where Kanter will be courtside, ready to make his point loud and clear. The WNBA may have to answer sooner rather than later.
